Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The next chapter


I started this blog when I came back in May, really as a form of therapy to ease me back into the real world and into Scotland. And now, finally, I think I'm out the other side. I only realised this a few weeks ago: I wasn't hankering after what had been and instead was much more focused on what next, where I want to get involved and make a difference. I'm a whole lot clearer on that one now.


Edinburgh is shaping up nicely. John, Pippa and Fiona are looking after me in different ways and I'm meeting some good people. My Glasgow friends are helping me out too. And it is great to see my brother, Paula and Beinn more often. Duke of Edinburgh is proving challenging but fun - how do you keep a room of fifty 14 year olds occupied for an hour? I've found a great group who are interested in spiritual philosophy and meditation and I'm loving all of that, people with whom to talk about the meaning of life! And I love the size of the place, you can cycle everywhere in 20 minutes.


The only real fly in the ointment is work. Finding interesting roles is a challenge. I think this is partly down to the economic situation, partly lack of clarity on my part, and of course the fact there just aren't the same range of opportunities here. And I'm trying to make a bit of shift without a real network to connect me to the possibilities.


Add to this recent contact with my old boss who may have an opportunity for me and I'm feeling quite torn. Is it back to London for now? Exploring the options will help me decide. If it is, it won't be back to old life, I'm confident of that. But I'm not ready to slip into my pipe and slippers quite yet and I mustn't commit myself to something in that environment, I'll be going mad in 6 months. I need to get into a decent role again, I feel I'm stagnating and it is bloody boring. Not to mention the money situtation which is worse than awful.


Whatever decision, I'm there. I've been and seen and am out the other side and feel it is time for this blog to come to an end. Once I find an interesting topic on which to write, I'll start another. Time for the next chapter; thanks for tuning in.


8 comments:

Neal said...

does that mean this blog is over and done with?!?! been some great reading here.....

Hannah said...

For now! I'm feeling 'rehabbed' into the real world again - finally. I think I need a blogging break until I find some inspiration on a different theme. Otherwise it's just going to be my ramblings, although arguably that's all it has really been anyway!

Tamsin said...

Boo! The whole point of a blog is that it's just ramblings!

Just wanted to pick up on your comment that you don't have the network up there - have you signed up at LinkedIn yet? http://www.linkedin.com/

It's a brilliant way to find people who are working in similar spaces to you - and (shock horror) has people OUTSIDE LONDON in it. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Hannah - somehow just stumbled upon your blogs, and it's already over.
Enjoyed reading about your experiences over the last couple of years.
I've been here in New York City now for 13 years, and I although I do miss Scotland I can't imagine rehabing my way back into it.

I think you predicted back in 1992 at Strathclyde that by the time I was 30 I'd be living in some small town Semi-detached with 2 kids, all happy with my pipe and slippers.
Well I do have a wife and 2 year old, and do enjoy a fine ale - but alas no pipe and slippers yet.

Anyway if you find yourself in NYC look me up.

All the best.

Hannah said...

Smiler - is that you Mark? How the hell did you stumble on this? I can't believe you're in NYC and have been there for so long. Are you on facebook? I can't remember you surname to look you up.

Anonymous said...

Yeah it's Mark. I'm not on Facebook - not for me.
Just googled a few folk from Strathclyde and found your blog.
So you think you'll stay in Edinburgh?
Remember Andy Cronin? - found him - he's in some acoustic Ukulele band in Edinburgh.
http://www.myspace.com/fcukulele
Maybe catch up with you more.
Best

Hannah said...

Email then! What's your email?

Anonymous said...

mark@foxvalve.com