Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Low income hair care

Hmmm. Just had a shower. (Time = 1.50pm.) I smell most unusual, mainly due to my Morrisons Hair Specifics Blonde Sparkle, just £1.29, although I think my Dove Conditioner from the Bargain Bin, just £1, has evened it out a little.

It's a kind of bad perfume smell, way too sweet, although it has to beat the Sunsilk Yoghurt & Coconut option.

I surprised myself with how hard I found it to make this choice in the supermarket. Of course, I realised the usual John Frieda Blonde was out of the question, but was sure I could at least go for L'Oreal Garnier. Then I realised even that was a full £2 more. I couldn't even have told you the price before, I never looked at it.

I don't know how anyone (Iain) can possibly still argue we make rational decisions about our purchases. The scenario was a prime example of my brand loyalty, although hard economics won the day in the end. Just.

On a related note, I stumbled upon another post about the disposable generation today. An American mother's view this time. (All her talk of Target made me feel quite Salt Lake-sick.) She's found this great site. www.kiva.org. It lends small amounts of money to entrepeneurs in developing countries. So if you save a little on the likes of John Frieda shampoo, you can send it to specific people. How real, I like it, although unfortunately the little I have saved has to be used to feed me. That's if I don't blow it on a latte to cheer myself up later on.

2 comments:

The Mama's said...

Thanks for linking to us, Hannah. I too have made the h orrible mistake of paying less for products that should never have been placed on the shelves. Then, I am left wondering if I chuck them (because they are nasty and cost so little), or use them up because there is still a cost to them!

I am glad I found your blog... it is great!

-Ali
-one of the mamas

Anonymous said...

I've been a Kiva donor for the past year or so after it was mentioned on a TV programme of some sort.

It's really rewarding and i receive regular e-mail updates from the organisation.

I would recommend it to anyone.

HOpe all is well up in Scotland!
Tx