Friday, May 2, 2008

Can this really be true?

Boris is Mayor of London. When I left 14 months ago, he was pretty much a figure of ridicule. It wasn't unusual to bump into him out and about in London, pissed as a fart and doing his 'ra ra ra' Boris thing. I remember seeing him in the Duchess of Kent in Highbury one Tuesday night, propping up the bar for last orders.

Now, it appears Ken has been in way too long and so anyone else will do. I agree that this piece by Zoe Williams is rather sloppy commentary, but I share her amazement. I must have missed something since I've been away.

I listened to some radio reporting on the local elections. To paraphrase: "I voted Conservative today. It's all gone to pot since Labour have been in power. My daughter can't even get a mortgage."

Since when has the government really had anything to do with the economy? All they can do is tinker around the edges. It seems as if we just swing from one person to the other without much consideration. "I don't like the way life is so I'm voting for someone else. Maybe they can fix it."

I must admit, I'm really not surprised we're all so disillusioned with politics. We also seem very keen to avoid any personal responsibility for the state we're in. "It's all the government's fault."

No comments: