Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Benefits Centre

That should be the new name for the Job Centre. I arrived this morning to 'sign on'. Process as follows.

"You're here to sign on? Just take a seat for now." I wait patiently for 5 minutes. An advisor near me is on the phone, explaining benefit entitlement. The caller is not eligible for the full jobseeker's allowance because his partner is on incapacity benefit. £102 a week for incapacity benefit, £94.50 jobseeker's allowance if you're a couple.

"Hi there Hannah. So, how's the job search going?"

"Yes, not too bad, I have a few irons in the fire."

"If you could just sign here. Have you received a letter from the Benefits Office yet? You're entitled to £60.50 a week which will be paid into your account on Friday, there's a separate cheque for £25.93 coming to you as well for the first few days. See you in a couple of weeks."

That was it. No more questions asked. No questions about what jobs I'd seen, whether I'd applied, if I'd called people to see how my application was progressing, whether I'd had any feedback on my applications, what I was going to do next, whether I needed any help or any further information..... nothing! In and out in 10 minutes flat. Boom. It was the easiest £60.50 ever.

Now, perhaps I'm getting different treatment because I've filled in my little booklet asking me to keep a record of my job search (which nobody actually follows up, so I can say what I like) but it strikes me that we're missing a huge opportunity to support and coach jobseekers. Surely what the unemployed need is encouragement and support on how to get back to work? I know I am bored out of my mind, and I'm trying really hard to structure and manage my day (as opposed to getting stuck on Crackbook and wishing I was in Alaska with Chris or being a raft guide with Sarah.) It is hard. It is limbo land and I can see it would be so easy to get stuck.

I do wonder about the benefits system. Whilst I support some basic state help so people don't starve, I'm also fully aware that without it, I'd be working in Tesco by now.

Getting my benefit so easily has also made me think about funding social care for the elderly. The population of over 85s will double in the next 20 years. That's incredible. I'm sure we'll have this sorted by the time our generation gets old and have adopted some kind of American insurance system, but what about now? Where are their families? And what about those who don't have well-off families?

We don't have enough money to pay for their care but yet we give money to able-bodied, mentally healthy people like me who should be working. And we have the money to be in Iraq.....

Mairi went to play the music for a WRI choir last night, they were doing a performance for the Montrose Senior Citizens Club. At the end of each meeting, the Senior Citizens all sing this song together. To me it seems like the death march but way more cheerful! You go Senior Citizens.
The End of the Road
Every road through life is a long, long road,
Filled with joys and sorrows too,
As you journey on how your heart will yearn
For the things most dear to you.
With wealth and love 'tis so,
But onward we must go.

Keep right on to the end of the road,
Keep right on to the end,
Tho' the way be long, let your heart be strong,
Keep right on round the bend.
Tho' you're tired and weary still journey on,
Till you come to your happy abode,
Where all the love you've been dreaming of
Will be there at the end of the road.

With a big stout heart to a long steep hill,
We may get there with a smile,
With a good kind thought and an end in view,
We may cut short many a mile.
So let courage every day
Be your guiding star always.

Chorus: Keep right on to the end of the road....

It was written by somebody called Harry Lauder, right after his son died in the First World War.

And is also the Birmingham FC song.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know this is an old post but I was just scanning through and had to reply. I had exsactly the same exsperince in a lake district benifit office. I really just wanted help to find a job, as I was getting very bored. The main reason I got here was to find out if you got the job after reading a post you left on Neal mquaids blog sometime ago. I'm glad for you that you didn't. Although the time waisting aspect is a bit of a pain.
Tim

Hannah said...

Hey Tim, thanks for sharing the thoughts!! I found it so frustrating too. I'm doing some contract work at the moment and have decided to give up on all things benefit-related, just too depressing!! Gets you in the wrong mindset for finding something you'd actually want.