Monday, April 28, 2008

Step one: reading material

So, having said a tearful goodbye to Jane at 1732 E Hillrise Circle, I got to SLC airport with time to spare and dollars to spend. Where better to begin the return to 30 something concerns than with some reading material? So after 20 minutes in the bookshop, I emerge clutching 'From Me to We: Finding Meaning in a Material World', a copy of Yoga Journal and the Oprah magazine. Add that to 'The Power of Now', purchased in Target the day before, and I had plenty to occupy my thoughts on the very long flight. Certainly much more suitable for my advancing years than People and In Style and discussions on Britney's breakdown.

From 'Me to We' is written by the two brothers who set up Free the Children, a charity set up to free children from poverty and exploitation and also free young people from the notion that they are powerless to affect positive change in the world. I'd read something about one of the brothers somewhere before but hadn't really appreciated he'd been just twelve years old when he got it all going. Impressive stuff.

I also remember Alison J telling me to read 'The Power of Now' ages ago, I tried it and thought it was a load of new age mumbo jumbo, I didn't get past the first chapter. But reading it now, after the travel experiences and spending 10 days meditating in a Buddhist monastery, I know exactly what he's on about. I think this is progress.

Now it's day two of being back in the UK and pouring rain outside. Here's the view. Can you see the rainstreaks on the window? It really is pouring. Ah, British weather, how I've missed you.
So far, I feel content although very displaced. Probably not helped by the mountains of stuff surrounding me; what am I going to do with it all? But I have had a shower and I am dressed - if you can call velour sweatpants and an Alta hoodie dressed. I'll be looking through the grown-up wardrobe later.
Oh, and I think it's time to change this profile picture too. I'll go and find another one and waste a little more time.

1 comment:

Russ said...

Ah yes, another promising skier lost to the material world. I hope the return goes well. Keep in touch.

Russ