Saturday, September 13, 2008

Musical memories

Was out tonight in one of these style bars full of overdressed men and women. At one point I thought I'd really overdone it, felt I was hallucinating, I was surrounded by men in tuxedos. I wasn't, it was just 28 drunk guys on a stag do. (Exactly. I know as I got talking to them.)

Loads of cheesy music in this bar, but one track in particular struck home - I remember Laurent Garnier closed on it at Space in Ibiza, 2002. I tried to tell those around me how awesome it was and what a fantastic experience I'd had there. They looked at me blankly.

At the moment, it still feels like yesterday. Admittedly, I'm pissed as I write this and I can't name it, couldn't even identify it if you played it to me now. But play it again and it would all be there. Music and memories. Such emotional power. It's probably been compounded by a wasted message I got from Iain, it's his end of summer party tonight and I wish I was there.

You don't realise how fleeting these moments are at the time; they are what make life feel truly alive. If I hear that track in the nursing home, I'll still remember. As with loads of others, evoking different times. Sometimes I feel I live in memories.

8 comments:

Tamsin said...

"Sometimes I think I live in memories"

You say that like it's a bad thing! ;-)

I think that good memories are the things that make the human condition bearable. (Sorry - I know that makes me sound like a miserable, pontificating twat, but there you go.) It's the memories of those perfect moments that keep you pushing forwards into your future, searching out more of those moments.

Hannah said...

You have to remember I was pretty pissed when I wrote this and feeling philosophical/melancholic! But yes, I actually think you are right. I wonder how it will feel when we're 75, if we get that far? When you know you won't be pushing that far forward anymore. I guess that's why you have to make sure you create all the memories you want along the way.

Neal said...

you wrote that while pissed?!?!? jeebus, I couldn't even write something as thoughtful as that while sober :)
My two cents? life is memories. For all this current fad of posting blogs,facebook,etc. - it still comes down to what YOU experience in your life. No point worrying about what you'll think when you're 75 though,worry more that you've made the most of now and deal with the aftermath then :)
all thoughts on this welcome....

keep up the posts, even while pissed :)

Hannah said...

and why do we post blogs and update our status etc etc.... to share our memories. particularly the blogging. probably why it's taken off.

and yes, no point worrying about 75. anyway, that's still 40 years away! longer than I've lived! COOL.

Neal said...

well said.
Anyway, are you sure it's not 50 years?!?
Compliment of the week :)

LonaDay said...

Hi Hannah!

You caught me. I've been secretly stalking your blog, thanks to the link on Sam's.

yep, back to Raleigh I go, starting this October. am very excited for more than one reason.

btw, you write well, even when you're pissed. hmph. ;)

Unknown said...

Of course, when we were in Ibiza you spent most of the time worrying about enjoying yourself too much and how we were ever going to recover!

We should grab those moments while we can and bank them for future reference. I've got whole weeks worth stored for my nursing home days!

The tune wasn't Promised Land was it?

Hannah said...

That made me laugh Daz. I never was a very good hedonist, was I? Still, they are wonderful memories.

And it wasn't Promised Land. That for me is your old flat in Islington one Sat afternoon after an England game out in W London somewhere, not so long before all the trouble started!!