Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Movements tell a hundred words

I'm going to be a Duke of Edinburgh Award Leader. This means I get my very own group of 14 year olds to encourage to achieve something in their teens - unlike mine, which were spent getting wasted on 'mixies', that unique form of Scottish cocktail, and smoking myself sick whilst hanging around in bus shelters hoping for a fumble with the local talent.

As part of the application, I needed to do an enhanced criminal record check. This requires submission of the past ten years of addresses. I found it most disconcerting to try and write these down. It took some doing!! In particular, I realise that although I think I want a settled existence, all the evidence is to the contrary. Clearly, I have ants in my pants.

Here's the list.

  • Gosford Place, Edinburgh - 2 months
  • Salt Lake City - 5 months
  • Nepal - 2 months
  • Wanaka, NZ - 2 months
  • Batu Puteh, Borneo - 3 months
  • 61 Canning Road, Highbury - 1 year 6 months
  • 10B Tabley Road, Tufnell Park - 8 months
  • 2 months crashing on floors and then with Garry & Cat post relationship collapse
  • Somewhere in Queens Park - 6 months. Interestingly, I can't remember the address. Obviously blanked this one from the memory in spite of its significance.
  • Somewhere in West Hampstead - 6 months.
  • 139 Rathcoole Gardens, Hornsey - 1 year 6 months
  • 224 Fernhead Road, Queens Park - 1 year 2 months
  • 162 Kingston Road, Jericho, Oxford - c. 8 months
  • Witney, Oxfordshire - 3 months in the sticks, a kind of 'trial run' that never got past the gates
  • 4 Warwick Street, Oxford - 3 years
Scary.

5 comments:

Mrs L said...

I can assure you that it is possible to reach a high level of DofE (so does that make me an achiever?) whilst still getting wasted. (I was truely wasted on my silver medel assessment..)

Unknown said...

I must agree , getting smashed whilst camping is the way forward. You have to decide what you think you can moraly turn a blind eye to.

Hannah said...

Mrs L, how come you got to do D of E at your school? There was nothing like that in the grim north-east. And Tim, yes, you're right about the blind eye. Last time I helped out at a D of E expedition, I took great pleasure in sneaking half a can of lager to an ambitious 16 year old, hoping my teacher friend wouldn't notice. The whole 'you're not allowed' feeling just brought out the rebel in me - and as we know, that doesn't take much!

Russ said...

Hannah: I thought of you yesterday, making turns in the steep and deep at TC. I realize now how lucky I was to have a great group of a few "wingmen" last year, you included. You may have been itinerant for some time, but you're (a) not alone and (b) better off for having done it. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. :)

Mairi said...

oh the memories of the mixies HAHAHAHAHAHA and the misspent youth. Just as well we've turned out ok in the end eh